DIY Tomato SaucePrint Recipe
- 3 small green peppers
- 2 white onions (if you like it a bit sweeter, add a red onion instead)
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 5-7 medium size mushrooms - less if you don't like mushroom
- 8 medium good quality tomatoes - keep all that juice!
- Olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- Cayenne Pepper - if you don't like spice, just ignore this part
- Optional: parsley and tomato paste for smoother consistency sauce
- Roughly chop peppers, onions, garlic, mushrooms and place in saucepan with olive oil.
- Cook on low heat for 3-5 minutes to often slightly and bring out flavours
- Add tomatoes roughly chopped for a further 2 mins
- Place all inside blender and pulse for one minute
- Sauce will not be completely smooth, that is okay, add tomato purée for smoother sauce or pulse until happy with consistency – I like mine grainy
- Add salt and Pepper – voilà!
This recipe is so quick and easy, it is also diverse, like a food ninja; you can freeze and store it for pastas or a pizza base sauce. You can change the taste based on what you like by adding whatever you like...within reason! Store bought tomato based sauces contain about 5.9g of sugar and preservatives so they can be shelved all around the world. You can't avoid everything bad for you, but if you know how quick and simple it is, you might think twice, which is why I am here! That's the thing with healthy living, its often all in your head, and once you arm yourself with exactly how fantastically easy it is to take control of what going into your food, the rest follows. This recipe can be changed over and over again based on your tastes and experimental mood swings! Like garlic? Add more garlic. Like mushrooms? Add more mushroom...and so on and so on!